The demand for smartphones with enhanced cameras has increased significantly among the modern selfie-obsessed buyers. Vivo is one of the brands that have successfully catered to this increasing demand with its latest releases. The V5 series from the Chinese smartphone manufacturer is a hit in India, and the company has extended this series further with the new V5s. Launched in April 2017, it is the third instalment in this range following Vivo V5 and V5 Plus.
While V5s looks similar to V5 Plus, it is more affordable than the latter. With impressive specs, metallic unibody, and 20MP front camera, it is one of the best selfie phones currently available in the market. Let’s delve deeper into the phone and find out all about it.
On the Outside
While V5s has taken inspiration from V5 Plus, it is surely an upgrade to V5 with respect to the specifications. Some of the key specifications that you notice on the outside are
• Dimensions and Design:
The phone measures 153.8 x 75.5 x 7.6mm and has a 5.5-inch HD IPS display. The phone has a resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels with a density of 267 PPI.
• The Unbeatable Camera:
Probably the most impressive feature of the phone is its camera. It boasts a 13MP rear camera with features like autofocus, phase detection and LED flash. On the front, it has a 20MP ½.8” sensor camera which has Sony’s IMX376 sensor. The camera has ‘Moonlight Glow’ flash for beautiful selfies. You can also take Group Selfies by adding panoramic panning effects and use the Bokeh mode for professional editing to the photos like focus and background blurring.
• Storage and Features:
Vivo V5s comes with an internal storage of 64GB. You can use a microSD card to expand its storage up to 256GB. It is a dual SIM phone which can house a Nano SIM and Micro-SIM. However, you’ll have to use one of the SIM card slots to expand the storage. The phone also features a fingerprint sensor on the front and has a host of other sensors like Proximity sensor, Compass, Accelerometer and Light sensor.
On the Inside
Vivo V5s has a 1.5GHz octa-core Cortex A-53 Mediatek MT6750 processor and a Mali T860MP2 GPU. It has 4GB RAM and is powered by a 3000mAh non-removable battery. A major highlight of this phone is that it has a custom UI Funtouch OS 3.0 based on Android Marshmallow 6.0. This UI is highly inspired from Apple and offers a host of features that are also present in the iPhones.
With V5s, the company has also launched a host of new features and apps. For instance, users can create the second instance of an app with the help of App Clone. Different instances of an app can be used for logging into different accounts of the same app. There is also a multitasking split-screen feature known as Smart Split 2.0 with the help of which two apps can be used simultaneously.
The phone uses an advanced AK4376 audio chip for impressive audio output while still being power-efficient. You also get a free 2-months PRO version of Saavn music app to help you enjoy a great audio experience.
Pros and Cons
• Impressive front camera- The biggest selling-point of Vivo V5s is its camera. If you love taking selfies, its 20MP front camera is sure to keep you occupied.
• Solid build quality- The smartphone has a metallic build which is soothing to the eyes. Moreover, it is one of the lightest weighted 5.5-inch phones in its price range.
• Great battery life- The phone features a 3000mAh battery which is ideal for heavy usage. While the phone doesn’t support fast charging, the charging speed is very good.
• Eye protective mode- If you love using your smartphone at night with lights off, this protective mode will take care of your eyes.
• Excellent fingerprint scanner- The fingerprint scanner in V5s is highly accurate and its response time is just 0.2 seconds.
• Doesn’t come with Android 7.0- New smartphones now come with Android Nougat out of the box. However, Vivo 5s doesn’t. This means that you’ll have to wait for the update.
• The rear camera is not as impressive- While the 13MP rear camera is decent in daylight conditions, the results are not very impressive in artificial and low lighting conditions.
• CPU and GPU similar to V5- While there are many features and specs upgradation in the Vivo V5s, the CPU and GPU are similar to the one used in V5. Some users have mentioned that the phone struggles slightly when playing high-end games.
• Display configuration could have been better- The 5.5 inch IPS LCD panel of V5s has a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels. However, it is not a full HD phone, and its 267 PPI pixel density is not very impressive especially when compared to similar phones in the similar price range.
• Non-removable battery- The phone comes with a 3000mAh non-removable battery, making it difficult for the users to get the battery replaced if required.