Samsung Galaxy S8+ Specifications
Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge were two of the best smartphone launched in the year 2016. As a matter of fact, Galaxy Note 7 too was an amazing device until the battery issue significantly damaged the reputation of the phone and that of Samsung as well. After this major debacle, Samsung got the best of its people to figure out the what was wrong in Note 7 and how can it be prevented in future. Many others were tasked to create a smartphone that would just make the world move on and Galaxy S8 and S8+ came into existence.
Galaxy S8+ with its huge display is a perfect combination of horsepower and beauty. Apart from the amazing display, the phone has a slick software and great camera which is sure to make you forget the Note 7 debacle.
Galaxy S8+: The New Big Thing Out There
• The Best Part: The Screen
The smartphone has a whopping 6.2-inch display, which makes it one of the best Android phones if you love using large devices. Overall, the phone measures 159.5 x 73.4 x 8.1mm and weighs 173 grams. It has a Super AMOLED multitouch screen with a resolution of 1440 x 2960 pixels in ratio 18:5:9 and ppi density of ~529.
• What gives it Power?
The phone is powered by an Exynos 8895 chipset and an octa-core EMEA CPU. Needless to say, it is one of the fastest Android phones that you’ll ever come across. The phone comes with a 4GB RAM and while there are now devices with 6GB RAM, you’ll hardly notice any major improvements in a phone with a 6GB RAM and Galaxy S8+.
• The Advanced Bluetooth Connectivity
It is one of the few phones to come with Bluetooth 5.0, which ensures that this release from Samsung is built with future in mind. One of the main highlights of this is that it allows you to connect to devices simultaneously where one of the devices can be used as the source. This comes in very handy if you want to listen to one song through dual wireless headphones.
Latest Android Nougat
• The OS with the Galaxy Experience
Galaxy S8+ runs on the latest Android Nougat (7.0). It has Samsung’s new ‘Galaxy Experience’ software which is undoubtedly one of the most functional and cohesive Android layers currently available in the market. Icons have gone through a makeover and the native apps in white too look very mature. The home screen is simple and highly intuitive too.
• The Storage and The Camera
The phone has an inbuilt storage of 64GB which can be extended up to 256GB with a microSD card. Galaxy S8+ has a 12MP rear camera with a ½.5” sensor and f/1.7 aperture. The secondary camera on the front is 8MP with f/1.7 aperture and features like auto HDR, dual-video call and a lot more.
• What’s Different from S7
While the camera might look similar to the ones in S7 on paper, there are a few important changes which help S8+ to deliver better photos. For instance, the sensor has been upgraded with a new multi-frame image processor. No matter if it is broad daylight or artificial lighting at night, the results are remarkable. The fingerprint sensor of the phone is placed at the back, next to the camera. The speed of the sensor has improved and it now unlocks the devices much faster as compared to its predecessor.
• Noteworthy Features
Other noteworthy features of the phone include wireless charging, iris scanner, heart rate sensor, Quick Charge 2.0, Bixby natural language dictation and commands and a powerful 3500mAh battery. The fingerprint sensor of the phone is placed at the back, next to the camera. The speed of the sensor has improved and it now unlocks the devices much faster.
Pros and Cons
• Splendid build quality- The 6.2-inch S8+ is one of the most beautiful phones available on the market. Even though it is large, the edge screen display looks amazing and feels very comfortable in the hand.
• Impressive battery life- The 3,500mAh battery along with a host of features to save power, make S8+ a highly power-efficient device. Most people agree that the phone can be fully charged in around 70 minutes and can be used for more than 24-hours.
• No home button- Even though the display is 6.2-inch, the phone doesn’t feel very large due to lack of bezels. There is no home button at the bottom of the display and instead, there is a 3D touch on display.
• Advanced CPU- The phone uses Exynos 8895 chipset which is built on the advanced 10nm FinFET process to offer improved battery life, 40% lower power consumption and 27% improved performance with LTE speed of 1Gbps.
• IP68 certified- The phone is IP68 certified, making it dust and water resistant up to 1.5 meters for 30 minutes.
• Placement of fingerprint scanner- Most of the users have mentioned that the fingerprint scanner next to the rear camera is uncomfortable to use.
• No separate slot for memory card- S8+ has a hybrid SIM slot which can be used for SIM card and memory card. There is no additional slot for memory card.
• Several unnecessary features- The phone is stuffed with a lot of features which are of no use to most users.
• Difficult to find glass screen protector- Due to the curved display, a lot of users have mentioned that it is difficult to find a good screen protector.
• Incomplete Bixby- The Bixby virtual assistant is incomplete. If you activate it, you’ll only see a screen with your upcoming appointments, news, etc.