Samsung’s Galaxy S7 Edge is a device that enchants the onlooker right from the first glimpse. It has a gorgeous edge-to-edge display with a curved screen and first-rate horsepower to create a premium Smartphone that never fails to impress.
Launched in May 2016, the S7 Edge refines the looks and aesthetics of its predecessor the S6 Edge. Though the curved screen is the definite highlight of this device, it has a lot more going for it. Apart from the impressive looks, it flaunts the best optics, crisp display, and massive performance, making it an all-around stunner.
Let’s take a closer look at the new features, key technical specifications, and pros and cons of the S7 Edge.
Here are some of the top new features that are present in the S7 Edge.
• Completely Water Resistant
You can now click selfies while you take a dip in a pool or enjoy your favourite games while you soak in a relaxing bath. The Galaxy S7 edge repels accidental splashes, spills and even dunks. And, what more, you don’t need any additional water-resistant cover or case to do so. The S7 edge is also dust-proof and has the IP68 certification to prove it.
• Massive Storage Space
Do you always find yourself deleting your precious photos and videos so that your device doesn’t run out of storage? The S7 comes with an internal storage space of 32GB, which can be further expanded up to 200GB, using an external microSD card. Now, running out of memory space is a thing of the past.
• Striking Design & Wide Display
The S7 Edge flaunts one of the biggest screens on a Smartphone. As the name implies, the S7 Edge has a truly edge-to-edge display and the screen measures around 5.5”. Despite, the super wide display the device fits comfortably in your hand, thanks to the super slim design.
The screen is curved on both sides and has an elegant, shiny aluminium frame. One minor drawback of the device is that the polished exterior is a fingerprint magnet and you have to clean the smudges constantly. However, you can overcome it by adding a thin protective case.
• The Innovative Dual-pixel Technology
The S7 Edge is the first device to sport the innovative dual-pixel technology. There are moments in life when you want to capture a picture, but the lighting condition isn’t suitable. Thanks to this all-new technology, you can catch life’s fleeting moments in the best way.
The rear 12MP camera makes use of the Dual-pixel feature, which helps you capture picture-perfect photos, even in poor lighting conditions. Also, the device sports a Quick Camera, which lets you double-tap the home button, to start clicking photos and videos.
• Fast wireless charging
Nothing is as frustrating as having to plug in your device to a wall charger when you have to rush out in the mornings. The S7 Edge supports wireless charging, meaning you can just place your device on a compatible wireless charging pad, without having to deal with the hassles of wires. The S7 Edge comes with a massive battery of 3600 mAh that never runs out of power, in the midst of your workday.
Also, thanks to quick charging, you can get up to 60% of the charge within 30 minutes.
• Android Nougat Update
The S7 Edge runs Android Marshmallow out of the box. However, you can upgrade it to Android Nougat, the latest OS from Android. This means you can use all the new features of this newest update like smart split screen, new blue-light filter and so on.
• Samsung Pay
The S7 Edge comes with Samsung Pay, one of the most secure and easiest ways to pay. All you have to do is load your cards on it, launch the app, authenticate it using your fingerprint and hover the device over the card reader to complete the transaction.
You can bid adieu to cash and card, and make the way to cardless payments. What more, Samsung Pay has several layers of security, meaning your payment details are highly secure.
This is one of the revolutionary features of the S7 Edge and S7. The Always On feature lets you view calendar, clock and other notifications, even while the screen is off. What more, Samsung claims that this feature doesn’t affect the battery life in any way.
• Vulkan and Game Launcher
This is a great option for avid gamers. The S7 Edge has a Game Launcher where you can enhance your gaming experience, by taking screenshots, recording videos of live games and sharing the same with your friends on social media.
Key Technical Specifications:
• Launch Date: March 2016
• Dimensions: 150.9 x 72.6 x 7.7 mm
• Weight: 157g
• Screen: Super AMOLED, 5.5”, Corning Gorilla Glass 4
• Resolution: 1440 x 2560 with 534 PPI
• Processor: 1.6GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 820 with Adreno 530 GPU (in some regions, it’s Exynos 8890, Mali –T880)
• RAM: 4GB
• Internal Storage: 32GB (Expandable)
• Cameras: 12MP Rear, 5MP selfie, with 4K recording
• Battery: 3600 mAh Li-Ion
• Connectivity: Wifi 802.11, Bluetooth, GPS, NFC, Samsung Pay, micro USB 2.0
• Sensors: Fingerprint, gyro, compass, accelerometer, heart rate, barometer, proximity, SpO2
Pros: The Good
• Impressive edge-to-edge display that gives an immersive viewing experience
• Reliable build quality and excellent ergonomics make it a delight to use
• Camera is exceptionally fast and delivers professional quality images
• Waterproofing is a big plus, helping you avoid accidents
• The battery life is robust and lasts for an entire workday
Cons: What could have been better?
• The rear glass panel is a fingerprint magnet
• The edge screen doesn’t have many software that uses its features
• The TouchWiz OS feels a bit cluttered and bloated
• The selfie camera takes a hit, especially in low-lights
• The price falls on the expensive side