The ‘F Series’ of photography-centric smartphones has made Oppo a popular brand in the country. F1, F1s and F1 Plus from the Chinese handset maker has taken the selfie craze in India a step further and have made ‘Selfie-Smartphones’ a completely different mobile phone category.
In the month of March 2017, it launched a successor to its premium offering F1 Plus with a bigger battery, improved processor and most importantly, dual shooter on the front. Out of the two, the 8MP front camera has a 120-degree lens with a 105-degree field view to take group selfies while the other one, which is a 16MP camera is apt for taking individual selfies. Although it is famously known as a selfie phone, there is much more to this device from Oppo. Let’s delve a little deeper
• Solid Enhanced Design
Oppo is a brand whose mobile phones never fail to impress the buyers right out of the box and Oppo F3, Plus is no different. It has a metal unibody design with chamfered edges and slim antenna lines at the back. On the front, it has an all-glass design with capacitive buttons for home and keys for multi-tasking and back. The home button also has the improved fingerprint scanner which is certainly one of the selling points of the device.
• Superb Display
Oppo F3 Plus measures 163.6 x 80.8 x 7.4mm and weighs 185 grams. The phone has a 6-inches IPS LCD capacitive display with 16M colours. Its resolution is 1080 x 1920 pixels and a pixel density of ~367 PPI, making it a great device to binge watch your favourite Netflix series and play high-end games. Right from its brightness, sunlight contrast ratio, to the colour accuracy, the device has everything that would ensure a great visual experience.
• Camera Performance
Oppo F3 Plus has a 16MP primary camera with a Sony IMX398 sensor and f/1.7 aperture. Be it daylight or low lighting conditions; the camera does a splendid job of taking beautiful pictures without any noise. However, the main highlight of the phone is its dual front camera. The phone has a 16MP camera with a standard lens and a 8MP camera with a 120-degree wide-angle lens on the front. The cameras come with handy features like touch focus, HDR, panorama, face detection, and geo-tagging.
• Dynamic Processor
The phone has a Qualcomm MSM8976 Pro Snapdragon 653 chipset and has an octa-core processor (4 Cortex A53E and 4 Cortex A72). As compared to the 652 Chipset, this new version comes with a 10% improvement in overall performance. It has an inbuilt storage of 64GB and 4GB RAM for flawless multitasking. For graphics, 653 chipset has the same Adreno 510 which is found in 652 Chipset as well and is widely appreciated for its performance.
• ColourOS 3.0 Operating System
The Oppo F3 Plus runs on the latest ColorOS 3.0 based on Android Marshmallow. But while the Google-built system inspires the OS, the customizations run deep, and it offers a lot more than the standard features offered by Android. The phone comes pre-loaded with a few apps, and you get around 48GB of storage space from the inbuilt 64GB. However, you can use a microSD card to expand the memory up to 256GB.
• Battery and Other Features
With a bigger body, Oppo F3 Plus has a bigger 4000mAh battery too. The talk time, video playback and standby times are excellent. Moreover, the device also supports VOOC quick charging. Also, the ColourOS 3.0 comes with a host of features to save power. In terms of connectivity, you get Bluetooth, Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac module, OTG, micro USB, and GPS. The phone also has a 3.5mm audio jack at the bottom of the front screen.
Pros and Cons
• Slick design- The 6-inches smartphone with a metal body looks very impressive. It surely is one of the best-looking smartphones launched this year.
• Great overall performance- The phone has everything that one would expect from a premium smartphone. Right from its processor, design, battery, to the cameras, everything is very exciting.
• Segment-leading cameras- This is the first time that Oppo is offering a dual front camera and the company has clearly succeeded with this new feature. Both, the front and rear cameras are magnificent and work exceedingly well.
• Excellent battery life- The 4,000mAh battery of the phone is great. Combined with fast charging, the battery would never be a problem for most users.
• Good audio quality- Oppo F3 Plus offers good audio output too. Its single speaker at the bottom is loud enough to fill a medium-sized room with good music.
• No USB C- Most of the smartphones, even the ones priced below Oppo F3 Plus, now ship with a USB C port. The presence of micro USB port is surely a downer in this age.
• Android Marshmallow 6.0- The phone runs on Android Marshmallow, and there is no news currently about the Nougat update.
• No NFC and FM radio- There is no support for NFC and FM radio. But to the phones defence, many of the phones in the same price range do not offer these features.
• Slightly expensive- The phone is a little expensive, especially when phones with almost similar features are easily available at a lower price.
• Hybrid SIM slot- The phone has a hybrid slot and no dedicated slot for microSD card.