The Indian brand Micromax, known for its wide range of budget and entry-level Smartphones, has stepped into the mid-range market with the Micromax Dual 5. It was launched in March 2017 and is currently the highest priced Smartphone from Micromax. With impressive hardware and a vast array of spectacular features, the Dual 5 is ready to take on Chinese manufacturers like Oppo, Vivo, and Xiomi head on.
Here’s a closer look at the specifications and features of this latest device from Micromax.
What does the Micromax Dual 5 Offer?
• Design and Display
The Micromax Dual 5 has an all-metal body which looks premium and elegant. The chamfered edges accentuate the unibody, and the antenna bands run from top to bottom on the back of the device. The Dual 5 has a clean look to it and sports just the Micromax logo and two IMEI numbers on the back.
On the front, a 2.5D curved glass covers the screen, giving the device an impressive finish. On top of the screen, you get scratch-resistant Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection. Though the Dual 5 weighs around 164 grams, it’s highly ergonomic and is convenient to use for extended periods.
Coming to the display, Micromax has featured a 5.5” Full-HD AMOLED display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and 401 PPI. The display is bright and vivid and offers sharp text and vibrant colours. Wide viewing angles, high contrast ratio, and sunlight mode are some of the impressive features of the display.
• Hardware and Performance
The Dual 5 features capacitive navigation buttons on the bottom of the screen. The volume rocker and power button are on the right, and the “Smart Key” app is on the left.
The Snapdragon 652 octa-core processor from Qualcomm powers the Dual 5. It comes with 4GB RAM and a massive 128 GB of internal memory. The 652 chipset ensures that the device performs daily tasks without any delays or lags. The 4GB RAM also supports gaming and multi-tasking between apps with relative ease.
The stereoscopic antennas ensure that signal reception is strong and call quality is excellent. Due to this, the Dual 5 can latch onto your mobile network, even in areas where the signal is spotty.
The Dual 5 sports a 3200 mAh Li-ion battery that easily lasts for a full day, even with moderate usage. The device supports Quick Charge 3.0 which reduces your charging time immensely.
• Camera Performance
One of the biggest highlights of the Dual 5 is the dual cameras. The dual 13MP primary cameras with f/1.8 aperture work simultaneously helping you capture both the subject and depth of field. One camera captures monochrome data, while the other one captures RGB data. Bokeh effects, Phase Detection Auto Focus, are some of the other features of the primary camera.
The front-facing camera is 13MP with an aperture rating of f/2.0. The “Smart Beauty” mode ensures that your selfies look beautiful and perfect, even in low-light. Additionally, you can use the inbuilt filters and several modes to add a dash of glamour to your images.
When it comes to video recording, the Dual 5 has several options like slow-motion, time-lapse, GIF creation, and so on.
• OS, UI, and Apps
The Dual 5 runs on Micromax’s UI, Qiku on top of Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. The Qiku UI features a suite of 360-degree apps that improve security and help in the optimisation of your device.
The new Qiku UI has several features like Speedup Memory, Freezer App that freezes apps that aren’t used frequently, helping your device speed up and several new customisation features like smart icons, themes, and wallpapers. Also, the Qiku UI has done away with the app drawer.
• The Dual 5 comes with an independent security chip that helps you keep your passwords and fingerprints safe. This chip uses EAL 5+ military grade security.
• The “Smart Key” app can be customised to trigger any action according to your preference be it launching Facebook or initiating a voice call. Just press the physical button to perform the action.
• You can use the inbuilt infrared sensor to control home appliances like TV, AC thereby eliminating the need for individual remotes.
• The “Safe Switch” feature ensures that your device cannot be switched off without a password. This helps in tracking the phone easily, if it gets lost. Additionally, if someone attempts to remove the SIM, without shutting down the phone, your device sends a picture of the person to a pre-configured account.
• With the “Secure Vault” app, you can hide photos, videos and other data from prying eyes.
Pros and Cons
What makes the Dual 5 stand out?
• The massive 128GB internal storage is sufficient to meet all storage needs.
• The Dual 5 scores big in the looks department with its uni-metal body.
• The Dual camera setup helps you capture even the tiniest details.
• It functions efficiently when handling day to day tasks.
• Impressive display that packs a wide array of colours.
What could have been better?
• The navigation buttons don’t have backlighting, which makes it a bit
difficult to use at night.
• The device gets a tad warm when running intensive apps like Google Maps at a stretch.
• The primary camera takes a bit of time to process images, causing a delay in the shooting of one image and the next one.
• The Dual 5 has its share of bloatware that cannot be uninstalled, even when not used.
• It doesn’t come with Android Nougat out of the box.